Getting arrested is one of the scariest, distressing, and embarrassing moments of ones life. It is also one of the most important. These days, police officers may utilize a wide variety of techniques to get information and confessions out of suspects. Some of these methods include:
* Lying about the existence of evidence
* Making false statements about other suspects and witnesses
* Telling the suspect that they can go home if they confess
* Discouraging the suspect from contacting
* Criminal Lawyers in Nassau County NY
Can the police really tell a suspect they have proof of their crime, even when they don’t? Can they lie to a suspect about the existence of witnesses or tell them that another suspect is placing blame on them?
In some cases, Criminal Lawyers in Nassau County NY may be able to get statements or confessions made under false pretenses thrown out of court. Sadly, that’s not always the case. In recent years, judges have largely sided with the police and prosecuting attorneys on these matters. Always remember the words from the Miranda Warning; “Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law”. The best practice is to say nothing and ask to call an attorney.
* Should a suspect who has been detained believe a police officer who tells them they can go home if they just confess? Should they believe a law enforcement officer who tells them they will get a better deal if they confess?
In many cases, attorneys do not recommend putting anything in writing. Prosecutors will use these statements as evidence of the suspects guilt in court. In addition to this, they may present this statement to the judge who is responsible for setting bail.
* Are police telling the truth when they tell suspects that innocent people don’t need lawyers?
Hiring an attorney to protect one’s rights has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. No judge or jury will view the hiring of an attorney as an indication of guilt. Remember, never be intimidated by the techniques law enforcement officers might use. Contact an experienced defense attorney like Gregory R. LaMarca immediately!