The death of a loved one is devastating enough. But the thought that the death is the result of medical malpractice or someone’s negligent behavior makes the situation even more difficult to bear for the family. If your loved one passed away because of someone’s negligence, inaction or malpractice, you can seek out help from a wrongful death attorney and file for a lawsuit. This means you and your family get the compensation you’re entitled to while making the responsible party accountable for their actions.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
The most common causes of wrongful death cases are as follows:
- Medical malpractice. This often happens in the emergency rooms across the country. From surgical errors and misdiagnosis to premature patient discharge, the E.R. is a busy hive of activity. With everyone rushing around, mistakes are bound to happen.
- Anesthesia malpractice. If an anesthesiologist fails to administer the right dosage, then the mistake is often fatal.
- Road accidents. Crashes and collisions are one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. and could be due to defective trucks or cars, poor visibility and distracted driving.
- Slip and fall accidents. In some cases, a bad fall can lead to serious injuries and eventual death.
All states allow families to file and pursue wrongful death cases. Courts factor in the following when they set out to determine the wrongful death damages awarded to a person or family:
- How much money the deceased earned
- The loss of a companion
- How much money the deceased had saved up
- How financially dependent the survivors were on the deceased
- How much the survivors incurred for medical as well as funeral expenses
And while the Bulluck Law Group believes there is no amount that could compensate for your loss, the compensation you get with the help of a wrongful death lawyer ensures you and your loved ones have the financial security and comfort to move on.